Frequently Asked Questions
What age range is the program for?
- The program was designed for 8 to 12 year old children. However, it has been successfully used with youth up to the age of 15. Children younger than 8 may struggle to understand some of the language and concepts.
Is the program suitable for children with lower functioning autism?
- The program was designed for children with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders, such as Asperger Syndrome. Children with intellectual delays may struggle to understand the language and concepts used throughout the program, and will need additional adult support.
Does the Social Skills Training Institute run the SAS group program?
- The Social Skills Training Institute currently does not facilitate SAS group sessions due to our focus on supporting SAS Facilitators who are delivering the program in the community. For a list of practitioners that do offer the SAS group program, please refer to our Group Program Availability page.
Can I purchase the SAS Family Kit without my child being enrolled in a SAS group social skills program?
- We strongly recommend against families purchasing a SAS Family Kit without being enrolled in a SAS group program. The resources in the SAS Family Kit refer extensively to activities completed in session and therefore are likely to be of limited value to families outside of the SAS group program. If families are unable to access the group program, we recommend purchasing the SAS Computer Game Pack.
Can my family receive a Medicare rebate for attending SAS group sessions?
- Within Australia, the program has been Medicare endorsed. Children with a Mental Health Treatment Plan are eligible for Medicare rebates from eligible practitioners. Australian families may also qualify for rebates on the program resources through the Commonwealth Government Education Tax Refund Scheme. For parents outside of Australia, please consult your local education and health authorities to find out what rebates may apply.
Can I play the SAS Computer Game on Windows 8?
- If you wish to play the SAS Computer Game on a Windows 8 operating system, please install the game with the Installation DVD, and then proceed with the following update:
1. Click on this link to download the update: SAS Update
2. Select ‘Run’ to begin the update process. Complete the update as prompted and exit the wizard.
3. The update is now complete. To play the game, please insert your Activation USB (Rockey) into the computer and open the program from the desktop icon or start menu.